I love the sunshine..... but hate the sun!!!! ha ha :)
Monday, 19 September 2011
Tuesday, 13 September 2011
So are you the kind of bride that goes crazier and crazier as the D day approaches? You have a bazillion to do lists and fabric and paper swatches hanging from your wedding file which is going to rip any moment? you don't know if you're coming from an appointment or going to one?
Hmmm.... then this post is a little reminder for you.... this is not just "Your" wedding. There is another party almost equally involved!! I said almost because you wont let the poor bloke be a part of it... !!!!!!
I think its very very important to include your to be to be a part of the wedding preparations (ha ha ha). Here are a few pointers on how and why!
1. Start by using the term "OUR"wedding. stop with the "my clothes" "my venue" "my invites" make him feel like a part of things....
2. Ask him for his preference on colors combinations and flowers options. I know at first he'll scoff and say "baby you know best" but coax him in to it a bit and you might just be surprised with his choices! Also trust me despite the few 'i'm a big tough guy' jokes he'll crack during, at the ceremony when he sees his ideas incorporated he will be super happy! call me if you don't see him bragging to his guy friends... "That blue lighting at the bar, my idea!!"
3. Don't make things a task.... turn boring appointments into a fun date. For example when you have to take him to choose his clothes (yes they are for him but he will crib and try very hard to postpone it till the day before the wedding and did i mention that he will crib?) buy him his favorite cup of coffee first or take him for a really good meal.... fatten him up for the long walk from store to store!
4. Now this part is really important. Talk to him about the size of the wedding. Does he want five functions or just two simple ones. Does he want a revolving stage with fire crackers or does he want a simple beach side wedding? Remember he should be comfortable too. You hardly want an uncomfortable groom itching to get out of the venue! Discuss what you want and find a balance between the two. maybe just two functions but one that has the revolving stage!!! ha ha... wouldn't you like to see that revolving stage!!!
5. Give him one important thing to do and plan for the wedding. Like the music. Let him fix on the dj and plan the list of songs. Or the drinks part of the menu. Let him spend a day with the guys and the hotel bartender and plan the kind of drinks they want at the cocktail. This not only make him feel entirely in charge of that particular aspect of the wedding it will also be a fun thing to do!
6. Now forget about the fourth point, THIS is the most important part of planning as a couple.
Make him feel like he has made all the choices!!!
I know men reading this post will be shaking their heads in disgust (read disbelief!) but in their heads they are trying to remember all the decisions they made with their girlfriends or wives and are now realizing that maybe, just maybe it wasn't really them making that decision, it was slyly implied by the said girl that it was his idea when in all honesty it wasn't !!!! You remember the movie "My big fat greek wedding"? when the mother implants the idea of Toula working with her aunt at the travel office into her fathers mind?
This little pointer will not just help in the wedding planning phase of your life it will totally help in the wedding life phase of your life!!!!! ha ha ha!!!
I watch "Don't tell the bride" on BBC and it really used to freak me out... till i realized well why don't we trust the poor guys to get it all right? Why don't we trust them with their choices on making the most important day in a girls life really spectacular? And then i saw this image:
hmmmm, so maybe we don't leave things like this to them!! oh what the hell i think its a fantastic idea!!!
So look, getting married is not easy... but staying married that's even tougher.... so start working on really building that relationship, that feeling of being a couple, a family really. Make decisions together make mistakes together, make a happy home and a happy life together.... and start... NOW!
ps: i watched the whole movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" while writing this post!!! what a fantastic film and something i think every Indian girl could connect to!!!!
3D attack!!! ha ha.....
the third and last 3d card i made was inspired by flower bouquets and hanging flower pots...
I love the brick wall finish!!
So lets start with the flower bouquets...
take a paper doily and roll it up in the shape of a cone...stick the ends with glue...
cut some bright pink crepe paper into circles and crush them and stuff them into the cone after layering the inside of the cone with some glue...
Add one more shade of pink to add some depth to your flower bouquet...
Now add a strip of black crepe paper like a ribbon... of course if you actually use a ribbon that would be more fun....
Take a art card paper and sketch out a brick wall. Start off with a pencil and ruler and mark it out before you sketch it since a brick wall with all shapes and sizes of bricks looks odd... unless of course you are making a stone wall..... hmmm.... anyhow... i suggest a pencil sketch first!!!!
again add some flowers on the inside to connect the designs. i even added some texturing in the bricks since they looked a bit plain and simple.... some stippling.... if that's what the dots are called!
write your note on the bricks...!
and finally fix your flower bouquets! add some crepe paper to represent the chains that they are hanging on and it will look like hanging pots on a brick wall... pretty i think!!!
Monday, 12 September 2011
3D Cards are so much fun to make!!!
This is another one i made and loved making!!!
that's some black crepe paper cut into squares...
i folded it into a quarter...
cut a flower design at the corner...
keep it simple....
It should look like this when opened...
i made some in a bright pink too....
scrunch them and place one on top of the other....
......pinch the bottom till it looks like this!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha!!!! but no really!
then take a nice card paper, fold into half and make it flat before you start,if your paper was rolled up!!!
I kept the design real simple since the 3d flowers were going to come on top.
keep the inside and out connected, it always looks good....
i added some crepe paper rolled flowers inside, again to keep the design connected....
stick the flowers now...
Don't forget to make lines inside to write your notes for you friend....
and front of the card!!!
3D cards are such fun!!! and so few!
this is my version of a 3D card....!!!!
I sketched out a scene.... was still in my cityscape zone....
using a cutter i cut a few buildings and trees only from the top such that it was still attached to the card... if you know what i mean!!!!
then i detailed the buildings and trees and added the streets and clouds!!!
folded all the cut out buildings ans trees so that they would pop up easily...
isn't that pretty..... interesting!!
the bottom part of the card should not be folded like this.... mine is because i had rolled the paper and forgot to press it down before making the card.... see some days i'm just so excited about the idea in my head that i don't think everything thru!!!!!!!
Finally a little DIY again!
Have done a few in the last few days but just haven't taken pictures and put them up....
this blog of mine confuses me sometimes... i get torn between weddings and diys!!!
like all things in life... balance is of key importance!!!! ha ha ha!!! So lets do a little DIY-ing for today!
have you noticed how all gift wrapping paper seems the same... almost boring.... though now i feel some companies are paying a little attention and making interesting ones... but something about handmade and custom designed things i feel, add to a gift!!
I mean if you are going to spend so much time picking a gift just perfect for the person why not spend fifteen minutes and make them a wrapping paper just for them?!!!
Its really simple, all you need is:
erasers of two three sizes
butter paper (you could try crepe and gateway.... but i feel gateway wont fold as nicely and crepe the paint may take time to dry)
acrylic paint colors of your choice!
This step is so important!!! write out what you want printed the other way around. it took me one failed sheet of "hello" written as "olleh" to figure this out!!!! ha ha ha!!!
Now with utmost patience carve out around your letters. I suppose you could do it the other way around as well, would be interesting to have your letter shown in the negative space of the color.
yes i know its a little messy! but that's about as much patience as i could muster up!!!!!
next for some fun, i tried various shapes.
test test test!!!! You can figure out your colors and clean up your alphabets.
and then start stamping!!! Again be a little patient and make sure you stamp creating a nice design!
Ta-da!!!! One custom designed gift wrapping paper to go!!!
ps: save the erasers.... use them next time someones birthday comes up!!!